Hopp til toppmenyen på siden Hopp til hovedinnholdet på siden

The Governor maintains the evacuation

Latest news from The Governor of Svalbard, Saturday 11th, 1.10 pm:

The Governor maintains the evacuation of Gruvelageret until Sunday. Huset will be open for pre booked groups. The road between the old museum and Gruvelagret in Sverdrupbyen is closed.

- We have had a new meeting with NVE today. The decision of maintaining the evacuation and closing of the road has been made because of the weather situation and expert advice and considerations from NVE, the Governor Kjerstin Askholt informs.

- It is expected that the weather situation will get worse, with stronger winds and snowdrift from Saturday afternoon and onwards, says Kjerstin Askholt.

A new assessment will be made Sunday morning.

NVE reports of considerable avalanche danger at Nordenskiöld Land and in the areas close to Longyearbyen.

The Governor is constantly monitoring the situation, and urges people to take their precautions and be careful when entering the terrain. Follow www.varsom.no regarding the avalanche situation for Nordenskiøld land.